Thursday, June 14, 2012

Keeping Your Head

When you're playing in a big tournament or in any situation with a lot of pressure, things can go very wrong very quickly.  My problem is on the green or the first tee shot.  I get really shaky hands and it's hard to control the ball and have my relaxed swing.  The best things that I have found to cure this are some kind of drink and a couple of distractions.  I have found that if I have a nice cold drink to swig on just before I hit or even in between shots, I will be more relaxed when I get to the ball.  I really cannot explain why this is or how it happens, but it works for me.  I think it has something to do with anxiety, because I have read that caffeine makes anxiety worse so I try to stay away from that.  But also in that same article it said to try to stay very hydrated to avoid anxiety problems.  Using this information, I try to stay away from sodas before and during my round and stick to some water or Gatorade.  I think it simply gives me a feeling of refreshment, which helps me calm down before I get ready to hit the ball.

I also mentioned that it is useful to have a few distractions in your round, to get your mind off of the pressure surrounding you.  I have found that if someone tells a joke (someone like your caddy or playing partner) and I get a little laugh out of it, it will distract me enough to where I'm not that nervous anymore.  I even used to play games on my phone while I was walking down the fairway in some of my college tournaments.  It really all depends on who is playing in your group.  As soon as I meet my group, I try to make a few jokes and lighten the mood a little bit.  Usually, this will get some sort of response from your group members and your round will be full of funny jokes or just chatting about whatever.  If that doesn't work, then I try to stick to my games while walking down the fairway, because it keeps me in a good mood while I'm playing.  I challenge you to try to find something that will keep you in a happy mood while you are playing your round, because that is the key to keeping your head and staying relaxed under pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment