Monday, June 11, 2012

Putting

If there is one thing golfer's really want to know how to do well, it's putting.  Most golfers would say that putting is probably the hardest part of golf, but it is also the most mentally challenging.  This is because of the great amount of concentration needed to be a great putter.  The best advice about putting that I can give to you right now is to trust yourself.  I feel that trust is the key to putting and most of your other shots around the course.  If you can completely trust yourself on every putt in a round, you will find that number of putts is decreasing. 

Routine also comes into play with putting just as much as with every other shot on the golf course.  If you don't have a putting routine that's set in stone, I strongly suggest you find one.  Keeping your routine lets your mind focus on the task at hand.  It also makes each putt simply feel like muscle memory, like you have done it a thousand times.  When I am putting well, I am completely trusting and believing in every putt I stand over.  Once I finish my routine and I'm getting ready to begin my putting stroke, I try to completely trust and believe in the line I have chosen in my routine.  Then, it's just a matter of visualization (like I talked about in the last post) and letting myself make that putting stroke.  You simply have to KNOW that you are going to make that putt on that line that you have chosen.  If you start believing in yourself on the green, you will soon notice strokes falling off of your score.

No comments:

Post a Comment