Friday, June 22, 2012

Relaxation

People tend to get way too stressed when playing golf, but there's one thing you should always remember... It's just golf.  This may be one of the hardest things to do while you're playing, but you should try to remember that it's just a game you are playing.  When you're relaxed during your round you will play a lot better.  I find that when I'm relaxed I have perfect tempo in my swing, or my putts all go the right distance, or I can let a chip release out to the hole.  My tempo can get a bit quick at times, but I find that when I'm playing a relaxed round my tempo cannot be more perfect.  It's all in the change of direction at the top of your swing.  Most people get uptight and try to control too many aspects of their swing.  Just swing freely and let it happen.  Watch Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, and Phil Mickelson when they hit full swing shots.  They swing completely freely, which allows them to make great contact consistently and hit the shots they want to hit.  I try to feel the same way with every one of my swings by keeping my head clear of swing thoughts and staying relaxed.  You will find that with a relaxed mind comes a relaxed body, and with a relaxed body comes consistent golf shots. 

If you're having trouble staying relaxed during your round, remember to always stay hydrated.  This helps decrease any anxiety you might have.  Also, try to always be holding something, whether it's a club, bag, ball, pin, drink, or anything else.  If you are always holding something, you always have something to do with your hands, which helps keep your mind off of your game.  If you are standing around waiting, take out a club and swing it or toss a ball around.  The point is simply to do something all the time.  Do not EVER give yourself time to stop and think about how you are playing, for this will be the downfall of your round (sorry for the dramatic sentence).  In all cases, try to have as much fun as possible with your playing partners.  At the end of the day, a fun and relaxed round of golf is usually a good scoring round of golf as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment