Friday, June 8, 2012

Routine and Visualization

Today, I want to talk about one of the most important aspects to the mental side of golf, visualization.  If you have ever heard anyone tell you that you need to "see the shot" before you hit it, they are exactly right.  Yesterday I had to work and then go to class, so I only had about 45 minutes to spare at the golf course.  By the time I got out to the course, it was almost completely empty.  This is probably one of my favorite times to play, because I can really focus on what I want to do.  I only hit balls on three holes, but in this case it was quality over quantity.  I spent massive amounts of time on each hole, hitting four or five balls from each tee.  I can only stress the value of routine so much, but you all should know that having a routine and executing it on every shot is extremely important.  Your routine is what keeps you focused and consistent.  But what I really suggest you add to your routine is a short visualization of your shot.  In my routine, I added it just before I swing when I'm done setting up to the ball.  It almost forces me into "the zone" because I have to concentrate so hard in order to visualize my shot.  I try to actually see myself hitting the shot I want to hit.  I try to not visualize the perfect shot, but more along the lines of a preferred location for my shot to end up.  I like to get to the point that, in my mind, I can see myself physically swinging the club and hitting the ball.  Then I try to see the ball going through the air and landing where I want in the fairway or on the green.  My logic behind this is simple.  Visualizing your shot before you hit it makes it feel like you have already hit the shot.  If you can convince yourself that you have already hit the shot, your confidence will skyrocket.  After that, the rest is simple.  I simply let myself swing the club (again) and hit the shot I feel like I've already hit.  I feel that visualization adds a feeling of simplicity to any shot on the course.

I can't stress routine anymore than most of you have probably already heard, but......routine, routine, routine.  Your personal routine sets you apart from everyone else.  It is the best way I know to get back in "the zone" after walking to your ball from your last shot.  I strongly recommend putting a visualization step into your routine as soon as possible.  It will help you in the long run as it has helped me.  The best thing about visualization is only you can see it.  This personality is what can set you apart from other golfers and let you come out on top in even the most pressured situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment